Monday, March 21, 2011

Sick Hubby

I have a sick husband on my hands. What makes my family feel good when we are feeling sick?

Chicken Noodle Soup
**This is the recipe used to make chicken & dumpling soup. I just replaced the dumplings with Oma's noodles.**
3 bone-in chicken breasts
Water
Carrots
Oma's Noodles

1. Place chicken breasts in stock pot & fill with cold water (water should cover chicken). Bring water to a boil. Let the water boil fully on medium-high for about 10 minutes. Skim off any white foamy scum & bits of food that rise to the top.
2. Turn heat down low enough to sustain a gentle simmer while the lid is partially on. Simmer, partially covered, for two hours or longer.
3. Remove chicken & strain broth. Shred chicken & return to broth.
4. Add carrots (I like to shred my carrots) & Oma's Noodles. Cook until noodles are done. Keep an eye on the noodles & continue to stir so noodles do not stick to the bottom of the pot.

Oma's Noodles
**My Grandmother has made these noodles forever. We have them at Thanksgiving & Christmas (well, anytime we eat turkey). They are so good on top of mashed potatoes as a gravy!**
1 cup flour
2 eggs
3 T cream or milk
Dash of salt
Dash of baking powder

1. Make a nest in the flour, blend in the eggs.
2. Add the cream, salt & bakng powder. Shape it into a ball.
3. Roll our on a floured board.
4. Let them dry an hour or so.
5. Cut them into thin strips.

For a wedding gift, my Mom & Dad gave us a bread machine. My Mom had one when I was growing up & used it often. The bread that came out of that machine was always the best. I am ashamed to say, I did not get out the bread machine until last year. I guess, I thought since the bread my Mom made was so good, it had to be really hard to make. I never even took the machine out of the box & read the cookbook that came with it!! Well, when I decided to stay home with my kids I started thinking about all the wonderful things my Mom did for my brother & myself growing up. I decided a year or so ago to give the bread machine a try. Wow, it is so easy & so good!! For the last year, I have been making our bread & rolls for dinner using the machine. I have saved us a lot of money & have really enjoyed it! Plus, my husband thinks I'm a homemaker godess with my bread making skills! haha ;)

With our chicken noodle soup, I made white bread to go with it.

All-American White Bread
**This recipe came from the Better Home & Gardens More Bread Machine Bounty cookbook. My Mom gave me this cookbook a couple months ago & I have made some REALLY yummy bread from it!**
3/4 c milk
1 T margarine or butter
2 c bread flour
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp active dry yeast or bread machine yeast

1. Add ingredients to machine in order listed.
2. Select #1 (Basic) & A (Medium)
3. Press Start
**YES, IT'S THAT EASY!**

2 comments:

  1. AWWW, almost made me cry when you talked so sweet about your Mom and all she has done for your family!!! Can you belive you are really home full time andcan still pay the bills? God has such a great plan if we are willing to do the hard work, go katie!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a very lucky girl! I had a great example to follow! :)

    ReplyDelete