Friday, April 22, 2011

The Start of Easter Weekend

Grandpa & Nanny came to spend Easter weekend with us. We are so excited to have them here!




For dinner, I made meatball soup, homemade Italian bread & ham & cheese sandwiches. It is a little warm outside, I know, but I am trying to clean out my freezer, so meatball soup it is! :)


Crock pot Albondigas (Meatball) Soup
**This is a recipe I found on A Year of Slow Cooking blog. I love this blog because there are so many recipes for the slow cooker! It is definitely worth checking out!**

4 cups chicken broth (I have used chicken broth or beef broth)
3/4 cups baby tomatoes
1 cup baby carrots, diced
1/2 cup frozen corn
3 stalks celery, diced
1/4 cup prepared pasta sauce
1/2 tsp dried mint
15-18 frozen meatballs (Italian)
1 cup frozen peas
6 qt slow cooker

1. Put the broth, veggies (except peas), pasta sauce & mint in slow cooker.
2. Stir in frozen meatballs.
3. Cover & cook 8-9 hours.
4. Stir in frozen peas 20 minutes or so before serving.


Ham Party Rolls
**This is a recipe my Mom got from a friend of hers. My Mom made these when I was growing up & they were always a favorite. These sandwiches freeze really well so I always try to have a package or two in my freezer. We like to have these in the car when we are driving on a long trip. I bake them in the oven & re wrap them in aluminum foil to keep them warm. They are bite size, so they are easy for the kids to hold & eat without making a mess in the car.**

1 cup margarine
3T mustard
3T poppy seed
1 medium onion finely chopped (I use onion powder)
1T Worcestershire sauce
20 slices ham
30 slices swiss cheese
5 packages Peppridge Farm Party Rolls

1. Blend margarine, mustard, poppy seed, onion & Worcestershire's sauce.
2. Cut rolls in half.
3. Spread mixture on both sides of rolls.
4. Place 4 slices of ham & 6 slices of cheese on each pan of rolls.
5. Return rolls to foil pan, cut into individual rolls, wrap in foil & return to plastic bag.
6. Freezes well. When ready to use remove plastic bag & bake at 325 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until cheese melts.

The recipe for the homemade Italian bread is on the post from 4/10/11.




Grace & Grandpa on the deck (someone missed her Grandpa!)




Story time before bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment