Friday, May 13, 2011

Fun Day!

I started the morning by doing what I enjoy, baking cake! :) I made a Chocolate Cream Torte to have for dessert. It turned out so good. It is another recipe from the Taste of Homes Cake Mix Creations cookbook my Mom gave me. This is the third recipe I have made from this cookbook & they all have been out of this world! With this cake, you make homemade whipped cream. I had no idea how easy it is to make! I guess I just assumed since I have always gotten it out of a container at the grocery store, it was hard to make...Nope! One more thing to add to my "I'm a domestic goddess" list! haha :)


Don't mind my silly Daddy! haha



Chocolate Cream Torte
**I got this recipe out of Taste of Homes Cake Mix Creations cookbook. The cake turned out beautiful & tasted oh so good! I added an extra tablespoon of baking cocoa because I didn't think the frosting was chocolate enough.**

1 pkg (18 1/4 oz) chocolate cake mix
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
Frosting:
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioner's sugar
3 T baking cocoa
2 T vanilla extract

Prepare & bake cake according to pkg directions, using two greased & floured 9-in round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.

For frosting, in another bowl, beat cream cheese & butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, cocoa & vanilla.

Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a third of the whipping cream. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top with cream cheese mixture. Store in the refrigerator.

Yield: 12-16 servings


We took Jim & Meagan to the Mcwane Science Center. We played with the kids & had a picnic lunch at the museum.




Some had as much fun as the kids!




We were home in time to put the kids down for a nap. Shortly after putting the kids down for a nap, Mom, Dad, Papa & Nana showed up at the house. Once everyone was in the house & settled, Jim & Meagan came upstairs (from the basement) & surprised Papa & Nana. The looks on their faces was priceless. They had no idea about our surprise. They were both so happy to see Jim & Meagan!!

For dinner, we had the Baked Spaghetti I put together yesterday (recipe on 3/12/11 post).

It was a great day full of fun with family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment